.: Let The Games Begin :.


With the success of January’s ‘days never cached’ challenge, we now move into February where statistically we have hardly ever cached. Sure this means only one cache a day pretty much everyday for this month, but with work, weather and having to travel to get to some of the locations that are near us; this has seemed like a daunting month.

We decided early on that this would be the best month to attempt to break our 15 caching day streak. A further challenge to this is the fact that we’ve planned to go to Death Valley for a weekend during the same timeframe as the cache streak attempt.



Our first cache find of February was actually supposed to be our last cache find of January. After I had solved the puzzle, we headed out to make the find. We looked for quite a while with no find and so had to give up and find another. When we got home, I did some research and found that the coordinates were a little off. On February 1st we headed out to attempt to find the cache again. We found a nearby survey benchmark which had been described on the cache page but we couldn't come up with the cache. After looking in the usual places, I attempted to duck under some barbed wire. Needless to say, I got hooked. Tatterhood had to come untangle my shirt from the grasps of the barbs. We looked for quite awhile once I was freed and right as we were preparing to give up I lucked upon the remnants of the container. Unfortunately I didn't have a replacement cache with me so I used a ziplock to help protect what was left.











Later on that week, we headed out to a little nature reserve area to see if we could find a few caches. After finding one punny cache we came upon a very sneaky hide that involved some deductive reasoning and of course a game of ‘one of these things is not like the others’. The last cache on the trail had us searching all over the obvious spots where a cache is usually located. As much as I tried, I couldn't get the cell phone to narrow down a spot, so I whipped out the old GPS and plugged in the cords. Almost like a homing beacon the GPS led me over to a very suspicious ring in the dirt. After some examination, I discover that the ring was actually a flower pot inside a slightly larger pot. Sandwiched in between the two pots was the cache. We very much enjoyed the find and the clever camouflage.

WHERE IS IT?

The rest of the week provided us with many other assortments of cache containers and locations. From a shotgun shell casing to a crawling hike to the top of a steep hill, we were able to begin to successfully fulfill the goals and to start our new cache streak. We now have to maintain those goals and one of the obstacles ahead is our planned trip to Death Valley. Hopefully we will be able to continue onward.



















Comments

Favorites

.: 3:10 to Yuma :.

.: Under The Sea :.